Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Useless Conversations

This past weekend we drove to Houston and back on Saturday for one of Caleb's childhood friend's wedding. Rachel Blythe Durr, now Parker, to be exact... and yes, it's where Caleb got our little one's name. It was in Kingwood, Tx which is where Caleb grew up for the most part. We have been there before, mostly for MacFest, so I've gotten the tour, but that did not stop Caleb from pointing out everything again. "I once stopped to tie my shoe over there." "One time I sneezed over there." You get the idea. He has also been driving to Houston a lot for work, so this caused the useless pointing out of landmarks to continue on our journey home. I eventually commented on how chatty he was being, which somehow lead to us trying to figure out what percentage of our conversations together were useless. After much debate we decided on 65%.

We had left Houston at 8:30pm, so it was getting pretty late and we pulled into a Sonic for a caffeine boost. We apparently were in the only part of the US of A that didn't have a Starbucks. As many of you might know I used to work at Sonic, so anytime we go Caleb likes to quiz me on how things work. I decided to have a M&M blast, which caused Caleb to ask me what it was. I told him it was like a sundae. He told me I was wrong, which considering I'm like the queen of ice cream seemed weird. He claimed that a sundae consisted of 5 main ingredients: ice cream, chocolate syrup, nuts, whipped cream, and a cherry on top. Well, we ALL know that's just incorrect. So I went on to tell him that the Sonic menu alone had at least 4 other kinds of sundaes and those didn't even begin to cover the whole world of sundae toppings. He asked what those would be so I went on to list out some of the choices: strawberry, caramel, hot fudge, and even pineapple. "Pineapple?" he asked. Yes, pineapple, like on a banana split, I told him. He replied, "So I could hit the button and say I would like pineapple on my sundae." "Yes, you could say exactly that." He then tried to say this horrific joke, "Well, I only like pineapple on my Mondays." Only, much to my delight it didn't come out like that. It had at least 3 extra "s's" in it. I can't even really write what he said, but here's my attempt. "Well, I onsly like pisnesapples ons my Mondays." After I stopped mocking him, I pointed out that this would be a fantastic example of the 65% of our conversations that are useless.

2 comments:

Ally said...

I love the mention of Macfest... it's been quite a few years without one. It is perhaps time to bring it back?

Anonymous said...

Oh boo...I really wanted to see you, Courtney and baby Blythe and now it has been 2 weeks and I am just now checking your blog. But I see you are coming to Houston quite often for business...could you call me sometime and maybe we could go to lunch????? Yeah for Macfest! Love you...