Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Christmas Tree skirt that wouldn't die...

Caleb and I got married 5 years ago this May. That same year I fell in love with a Pottery Barn tree skirt. As we all know, Pottery Barn is a little expensive so the $65 or $75 price tag seemed a little high for something that I would only see about a month of the year. Being the new little wifey that I was, I said to myself, "I can make that for waaay less." So in September of 2004, I started working on a tree skirt for my Christmas tree.

Well, today, April 21st, 2009, I finished it. That's right it took almost 5 years for me to finish it. Turns out, I had to hand sew the ribbon on which took forever! I would get bored or frustrated and stop working on it for a year at a time. Caleb has been randomly bringing it up since I started it too. Just every once in awhile he'd throw out a, "How's the tree skirt coming?" Sometimes in the middle of June he'd ask about it. It would make me so mad and about 2 years after I started it he told me to just go buy the thing, but I refused. In retrospect, I would've paid $100 for the stupid thing, but I had to finish it on principle alone!
So without further ado.... TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!


Don't look too closely, cause the lines aren't all straight, and as you can see it doesn't actually even form a circle. Maybe one day I'll add some more panels, but most likely my Christmas tree will just always be in a corner. How ya like dem apples, Johnson!

3 comments:

Erin said...

:-)

The Rozell Family said...

nice! its beautiful! my mom just bought me a pottery barn tree skirt 75% off! I sure would like to say "I made our tree skirt" though!

see ya'll tomorrow on AUSTIN ST!

Jeff and Casey (and Vanna) said...

nice!! ya know i waited for a sale at hobby lobby think i got one for 20 bucks!!! you can make gold out of anything girl!!! i am still so impressed that you covered that old couch of yours!!