Monday, March 29, 2010

Lolita

Once upon a time I decided I would read all the books on Random House's 100 Best Novels. It occurs to me that this must have been about 4 years ago because I was still working at the time. It has taken me this long to finish the first book I decided to read. Lolita nearly killed me. I have a weird thing about not finishing books no matter how much I hate them. Yet, I still stopped reading Lolita twice and went on to read many many other books before making another attempt. I finally just barreled through it last week.

Don't get me wrong, I see why it's on the list. It is beautifully written. He's very lyrical. He loves his adjectives and details. He could spend entire paragraphs describing a mole on a leg or the curtains his wife had chosen for the living room. Yes, it was as boring to read as that sounds. I would very often do the thing where you are reading but not really taking in any information. The beauty of this book was it didn't matter. He spent so much time describing things you could zone in and out and really miss none of the actual story. The story itself probably takes up 20 pages.
It is still the story of a man who loves a 12 year old. As a girl and a mom to a young girl it still oogs me out to know there are people out there who think like this. It has a sad, but not unexpected ending. So I'm glad I'm done with it, not really glad I read it. I had to read the entire Twilight series again just to regain my love of books. I'm not proud of that, but it's the truth. Next up... A Bend in the River. Obviously, I'm doing this in no particular order.

1 comment:

Jeff and Casey (and Vanna) said...

reading breaking dawn right now......can't believe you have read them twice....geez girl you make time to do it all and do it well!!! miss you