Friday, August 22, 2008

7 Rules for Making Your Home Life Happier

Questionnaire from the June 1933 issue of American Magazine in an article entitled, "Why Marriages go Wrong."

For Wives
1. Do you give your husband complete freedom in his business affairs, and do you refrain from criticizing his associates, his choice of a secretary, or the hours he keeps?
2. Do you try your best to make your home interesting and attractive?
3. Do you vary the household menu so that he never quite knows what to expect when he sits down to the table?
4. Do you have a intelligent grasp of your husband's business so you can discuss it with him helpfully?
5. Can you meet financial reverses bravely, cheerfully, without criticizing your husband for his mistakes or comparin him unfavorably with more successful men?
6. Do you make a special effort to get along amiably with his mother or other relatives?
7. Do you dress with an eye for you husband's likes and dislikes in color and style?
8. Do you comproives little differences of opinion in the interest of harmony?
9. Do you make an effort to learn games your husband likes, so you can share his leisure hours?
10. Do you keep track of the day's news, the new books, and new ideas, so you can hold your husband's intellectual interest?

Interestingly, this is all probably still good advice.
In keeping with #10 we've started getting the Wall Street Journal and I've been trying to at least read the front section. So far that's about as far as I can get before I get too mad and frustrated at the world to continue!

However, I was delightfully surprised to find a review of the movie "House Bunny" with Anna Faris. I don't really think my movie tastes probably match up with the good old WSJ, but I thought it was funny they did a review of it anyway. I picture some Anderson Cooper-esque guy having to write, "Shelley herself learns, for instance, that life is about more than being sexy; it's about being true to yourself." HA!

2 comments:

Our Green Nest said...

WOW, as I was reading that, I kept thinking when the HELL was this written?! and was so relieved it was from 1933!! Geez, thank goodness this is 2008! Ridiculous.

The Dunton's said...

Very funny post. I think a lot of that still applies and good for you for reading the WSJ even if you don't make it all the way through- I don't think I would make it very far either. I do, however, enjoy picturing a guy writing about that movie thinking "I thought this was serious journalism!"