Friday, October 26, 2007

Baby Response Drills

The events of this morning....
Caleb refuses to turn on the heat at night, which means by about 5 am it's pretty frickin' frigid in our house. I, unfortunately, have to get up first and hi tail it to the shower where I have taken to standing for much longer than need be in order to avoid having to get out of the delightful warm water and step into the 55 degree bedroom. Today I was standing there as usual, and remembered that I have been cutting it pretty close getting to work on time, and wondered to myself "Self, I wonder what time it is." Since Caleb is usually still in bed at this time, sometimes awake, sometimes asleep, I said a very tentative... "Hey, Caleb?" Just testing the waters. There was no immediate response, but then all of a sudden the bathroom doors were thrown open with reckless abandon and Caleb appeared looking as if I had just yelled "I'M HAVING THE BABY IN THE SHOWER!!!" I felt bad because he was obviously worried something was wrong, so I sheepishly said "I just wanted to know what time it was." He rolled is eyes at me and headed back to bed where he yelled "It's 7!"
I thought this was very funny, and you might think that is mean, but let's go back a little further in time to about 5am. I am sleeping a lovely deep cozy sleep, possibly even dreaming. All of a sudden, I am rudely awaken but my beloved bed buddy going "Aren't you cold??" Now I ask you, if I were cold would I have been sleeping so peacefully? He then tries to discuss with me, at 5am mind you, how he wants part of the sheet I am under because his poor soul only has a quilt. But it's 5am and I'm 8 months pregnant, buddy, and you're getting NOTHING from me... I am going back to sleep! Which is what I did. He apparently got out of bed and put on sweat pants, a sweatshirt, and wool socks. This is why when he appeared in the doorway of the bathroom wearing the aforementioned warm clothes, I did not feel bad about pulling him from bed, but instead a wicked little grin spread across my face!

No comments: