Monday, October 8, 2007

I Fear the Dog may be Smarter than Me

I was just duped by Sasquatch Puppykins during lunch...
Here's a little background on Sasquatch for those of you who don't know her.


She's a 100lb. what we guess to be Newfoundland/some sort of Shepherd, black furry mutt. She believes she is an inside dog that only goes outside at her own choosing, which is oddly only when we are at home, and only if we leave the door open so that she can come back in whenever she pleases.


She stayed inside this morning, and I went home at lunch to let her out where it was my plan she would stay for the afternoon. So I went outside with her for a minute to throw the ball with her and show her how fun it was to be outside. I throw the ball a couple times and she brings it back. Then on the third time I throw the ball and she just kind of stares at me. This is not new, I don't know if she doesn't approve of how I throw the ball or where I throw it, but occasionally she ignores certain throws. So when this happens I try and point and re-enact the throw to make her go get it, but usually end up going to get it myself... which is what happened today. So I say the inevitable "Fine, I'll go get it." and walk past her to get the ball. As soon as I walked by her she yapped her jaws at me (we taught her not to bark so she just does the motion now) and I swear to you it sounded just like she goes "HA!" and then sprinted into the house. So I stood in the middle of the yard smiling and shaking my head for a minute, because I must confess she completely got me. Somehow she rigged it so that I was the only creature in the backyard fetching a ball.
So you may say, well why didn't I just make her go back outside??
Because the brat plays possum. She runs as far away from the door as possible then lays down and lets her body go completely limp. Then she lets you drag her all the way to the door, but is too proud to actually get dragged outside, so she'll stand up and walk the last 3 steps. Before I had a 15lb. bowling ball strapped to my waist I would have dragged her, but now I can't. So I left her happily laying on her bed with a smug "I win" look on her face.

1 comment:

The Rozell Family said...

I love reading your blog! thank you for posting!!!

em