Saturday, October 6, 2007

Death by Endo

What started out as a quiet Saturday afternoon bike ride, quickly turned into an impending disaster. Riding while tethered to a 100 lb. highly motivated mutt may not be the epitome of bicycle safety.

As a car passed, I pulled Sasquatch closer to me shortening the retractable leash connecting us. After the car passed and she surveyed the open road ahead, she went from a gentle stride into a dead sprint, as if running from the devil himself. It was then and only then did I notice that what should have been a quickly extending leash, wasn't extending because sometime during the retraction it had become locked in place and had conveniently slipped under the left side of the handle bar.

In the next 7 seconds, realizing what was about to happen, the world went silent. Sasquatch unknowingly turned the front wheel of my speeding bicycle 90 degrees to the right. As you might imagine, this stopped the bike, sending me head first over the handlebars. Sadly, I was only a fraction of a second from finishing my torpedo barrel roll perfectly and landing only my shoulder. Instead I left part of both my hands on the pavement and then bruised my shoulder.

But, having the incredible tolerance for pain that I do, I propped my windless lungs off the ground, picked the bike up and bloodied my grips. No endo was going to stop my afternoon.


2 comments:

The Rozell Family said...

Holy Cow Caleb! Clay and I were trying to reenact (spelling?) your bike wreck this afternoon! It was pretty funny!! I am glad you got a shot of Court at LCS homecoming! Wasn't it awesome?:)

The Rozell Family said...

thats so fake caleb..those arent even your hands!!! i thought you would have put more planning into it, or at least not shown pictures...good story though, very believable.

clay