Monday, April 28, 2008

The Bain of my existence

  We've just gotten back from Blythe's 4 month check up with Dr. Bain.  It didn't go so good.  The doc uses a laptop instead of charts, probably most drs. do that these days, but she just kept typing on it the whole time.  I had to repeat every question I asked, because she would be typing and not listening to me.  Afterwards, I heard her say something in the hall to one of the nurses about her email running slow, so I'm pretty sure she was emailing and not doing anything related to our visit.  She really was completely unhelpful when it came to my questions about starting solids.  The longest she talked about anything was when I told her Blythe had gotten the Rotavirus vaccine at 3 months which got me a 10 minute lecture!  One of the highlights was that I told her right off that Blythe was rolling from back to front and asked if it was ok for her to sleep on her stomach (I don't know why I asked cause there's not much I can do to stop her from sleeping on her stomach, but I asked anyway).  She said it was fine, then at the end of my 15 minutes with her she proceeded to tell me that in the next couple months the main thing I should be watching for was for her to roll from back to front and sit up.  Oh really, I should be watching for the thing I just told you she's already doing??  Good, check, I'll do that.  

  However, my favorite thing is the horribly unfriendly nurse who calls Blythe he and him the whole time we're in there.  I can overlook the fact that she's wearing a onesie with strawberries and cherries on it.. whatever, but HELLO!!  you are holding a laptop with all her medical information on it.  Are you telling me that you can not look down and see that you are dealing with a GIRL!  I will not pick "him" up or move "him."  "He's" not eating just fine... because HE is a SHE!!  For the love of all that is good and holy she's a girl!
  So from now on I will be going to the county clinic for well baby visits and vaccines.  I feel this is safer for the entire staff at Healthy Kids Pediatrics.  

6 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so sorry! I hate that you had that experience. Poor thing! It is so much more frustrating when it happens to your child than when it happens to you, too. I guess it is our maternal instinct kicking in to protect our little ones. I don't blame you for opting out though!

Our Green Nest said...

Aaaah - that's too bad!! CRAZY - I hear NOTHING but how awesome she is from my Holistic parenting groups!!! Sorry! Hope to see you all again soon! Love ya! - Jillian

The Rozell Family said...

gosh, that is awful Court, so sorry about your experience! Ya'll need to live in Denton so you can to go Dr. Newell, hes amazing. We are excited about campign with ya'll Sat.

E

Caleb said...

I like violent Courtney

Our Green Nest said...

Know u're not a fan but Dr. Bain is going to be on Channel 11 4/4:30 news on Friday - just fyi :)

Ali said...

Blythe is a beautiful little girl who looks nothing like a boy!!